Monday, September 16, 2013

I Talk TOO Much!

With palms together,


Good Morning All,



We are preparing for Kathryn’s gall bladder surgery this coming Thursday. We are hopeful that it can be done the relatively “easy” way, but are concerned she will need the large incision variety due to some old scaring tissue. We would like things to go smoothly and perfectly. But, we never know how things will unfold. As a result of this, I will not be available for a few days after her operation, especially this coming Sunday for services at the Zendo. Rev. Dai Shugyo will be offering our precept renewal service unless you hear otherwise. We will keep you posted.



Just like in medicine, in Zen it is a truth that there are no perfect answers, nothing to measure ourselves or our practice against. We might think that stories of enlightenment, “successful” practices, and other highly subjective measures are standards, but the only true standard is within each of us as we go through our day and encounter each moment. I would like to believe I am a good Zen teacher, but I know I talk WAY TOO MUCH, even as I ask for student input, am diligent about seeking their understanding, I am listening far too often to myself in the process. This is not good practice for anyone, let alone a Zen teacher. I was reminded of this during my Dharma talks this past week in sesshin. I can get pretty long-winded it would seem. Awareness, though, is only half the battle in this effort. Becoming aware, sitting on your hands (as my old Chess teacher used to demand of me) is an excellent beginning, but then, we must shut up and listen. There is a great teaching in this.



What is this teaching? Well, if Master Dogen was correct, and I believe he was, when we let our body/mind fall away, myriad teachers appear. If we do not allow ourselves to get over ourselves we never really learn and this is a true shame as it is a waste of our lives and a disservice to those around us who have wonderful things to teach us.



Be well

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...