Thursday, January 24, 2013

Do We Mean What We Say?

With palms together,




This morning I woke at 3:45 and practiced Zazen followed by a short, but fully engaged yoga routine. At lighting my morning incense I had the thought that I was offering this wonderful gift to the universe. The thing is, do I really mean it? When I vow to free all beings, when I open my heart to compassionate living, what exactly do I really mean? Do I include hostage takers, mass murderers, child abusers, and all manner of people who do loathsome acts of terror and violence? These are part of the universe to which I offer the sweet gift of incense, aren’t they? And those who hate? And those who steal?



Often I simply say these words. Often they are just a part of the morning and evening liturgy. To the extent this is true they are, indeed, meaningless. If I vow to develop compassion and work to open my heart just to close it the moment I am confronted with something or someone who threatens me or others what am I?



I am a human being. It’s really that simple. I am an imperfect being on a path. There are many rocks, fallen trees, and other debris on this path. It would be both foolish and naïve of me to think that just because I practice lighting incense, investigating my body and heart through exercise and zazen, mouthing vows along the way, that I should be any different than any other animal comprising the human race. Acceptance of this fact is a very important practice as it leads to honest and authentic personal inquiry. With such inquiry each step we take along the path will be the same: honest and authentic.



Each time I recite a vow and notice my mind is elsewhere, each time I walk a step, lift a weight, or sit down on the practice cushion, noticing I am elsewhere, I am offered an opportunity to truly practice. Accepting I am a human being with flaws means I accept the human condition. This means understanding that I am no different fundamentally than any of those I may loath or wish not to extend my compassion. In realizing this and working with this, I open my heart just a little farther.



Be well

Local Note: We will host Study Group at 6:00 PM and practice Zazen at 7:00 PM at the Temple. I hope to see you there!



No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...