Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Anxiety


With palms together,

Good Morning Everyone,





Update: stress test was fun, but I suppose that is very subjective. I am one of those hapless individuals who enjoys being physically stressed. I enjoy running, biking, weightlifting, and in the distant past, Korean karate. Each, of course, to the max. Perhaps that is why I am feeling it now  Anyway, the stress test was the typical 3 minutes, three minutes, three minutes: each with an increased level of difficulty designed to get the heart rate up, open the arteries, and see what happens. The idea is to get to your “predicted HR max” based on age. I am 64 and that means my max should be 157 according to the Cardiac Care Tech.



So we started at a resting HR of 56 and climbed. At the end of the 9 minutes I was barely touching the predicted max so we agreed to go farther. She punched up the incline and increased the speed so I had to jog. I ended up after another minute or two at 162 and felt great.



I am beginning to think all of this stuff is in my head which, of course as we know, it always is. My sense is that I am so in-tune with my body from years of noticing my paralysis and meditation, that any change registers. I interpret this change as a warning, poor me, and find myself wondering what is going on in there. This is called anxiety.



So. We will wait for all the testing to be interpreted and a final interview with my docs to see what they say, but I say, “I am fine.” Time to get on the Diamond Back and ride to the Temple for dokusan and morning Zazen.



Be well.

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...