Saturday, August 13, 2011

August 13

With palms together,


Good Morning Everyone,



Yesterday was a challenge. After moving all of the books and finally getting the bookcases moved to the residence, my old SAAB got sick. I am not sure what is wrong with her, but she will not start. On top of that, I seem to have misplaced the keys so I cannot even try to start her again or look to see what might be the trouble. I think the keys may be at the Temple, as Soku Shin drove us there yesterday when the SAAB had her issues. Then there is the painting I am working on. It is not doing well. It seems drab and lifeless. Lastly, at bottom, I am completelt broke. So, what was to be done?



Last night we sipped a glass of wine, ate brown rice and lentils followed by a portion of salty potato chips. We watched a DVD, cuddled, and fell asleep.



When I woke this morning I decided I would do what is there for me to do. It is Saturday, my day off, so I will enjoy this day. I will take Suki for a run. Perhaps Soku Shin and I will go for a bike ride. I will bring life to my painting. And, in the end, we will enjoy this day. In this practice is the secret to a life well lived: enjoy. Life is far too short to get mired in attachments.



On the Temple side of the equation:



We have purchased the tickets for Taiun-sensei's trip to New Mexico. For those who assisted, thank you very much. We could not have done this without you. So far we have 15 registrations. I believe we will be able to seat a maximum of 20 in the Temple if we include the space in the foyer and add a line in the center of the Zendo. Sleeping arrangements will need to be divided between the Temple and our residence, as well as those living in the area returning to their homes overnight.



Our Tenzo and I have had extensive conversations regarding oryoki. She has suggested, and I concur, that we ask members of the sangha to each purchase an oryoki bowl set. This will eliminate the need for Soku Shin and myself to wash and re-wrap the bowl sets after zazenkai and sesshin, a considerable task. I have done a search on the Internet and found the economy set from ZCLA is about $45.00. Rev. KoMyo in California is working with the manager of their store to create a special deal for us if possible. You will need to make this purchase before sesshin so that you have your own oryoki set for meals.





Thank you for your time in reading this. May your life be a blessing today. I hope to see you at Temple tomorrow!



Yours,

Daiho

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...