Wednesday, July 06, 2011

July 6

With palms together,


Good Morning Everyone,



With the excellent care of Soku Shin I am feeling a tad better. Not that I am going to be all springy and everything, but better. Thanks to those who wished me well.



Our little temple seems to be thriving. We have had drop-in visitors, several new people who had scheduled appointments, our groups, and dokusans, all in addition to our regularly scheduled daily Zazen. I am so grateful for the opportunity to be in such service. It is hard not to be there when I am not well. This suggests that perhaps some of you who are in Las Cruces might commit to opening the Temple at least in the evening on a certain day of the week. I would then not be as concerned if I knew we had coverage in the event I am otherwise occupied. It would be your opportunity to take ownership of your temple. Let me know if this is something you would be willing to partner with me about.



Dharma Teacher Zen Shin had a good idea about Sunday. I agree going to a restaurant is a not such a good option. Why not have a brunch at the Temple? I do think, however, this would need to be coordinated through our Tenzo, Tamra. We have a week or so to think about this as this weekend we will be in Sesshin.



Sesshin will begin at 7:00 PM on Friday evening and go through Sunday afternoon. We will be including members of the Zen Center of Las Cruces in this event. If you have not yet registered and wish to attend, please email or call me today. There are two open seats, I believe.



A few comments regarding Sesshin: Once you arrive for the day’s practice, please understand that if you should leave you cannot come back that day. In other words, no coming and going. Practice periods will start on time. Please be in your seat at the appropriate time. Those attending will have a copy of the practice schedule. If you plan to stay at the Temple, bring a sleeping roll, pillow, and overnight necessities. This is a unisex event, so be sure to bring PJs.



Lastly, due to the cost of our hotspot, I will have to limit dokusan via Skype to 30 minutes. Please understand this. Those who are doing dokusan, please consider this: dokusan is a part of your practice. I will likely ask you “what is your practice?” at the beginning. How you answer this determines the quality of the dokusan period. I make one assumption: we are adult learners. You are your own best teacher and how you present yourself is part of the teaching. Pay attention. Do not think that I will know what is on your mind or that I will know what questions you have. It is appropriate for you to come to dokusan with your questions, but do not expect answers. Again, you are your own best teacher, I will point the way, but you will have to walk along the path yourself.



Practice: it’s a Zen thing.



Be well,

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...