Thursday, August 26, 2010

May I Help You?

With palms together,


Good Morning Everyone,



Tomorrow we offer our new Temple to all sentient beings. I am very pleased that we have established, finally, a Temple for the Order of Clear Mind Zen. Interesting things are happening. We are experiencing “drop ins” for example. This morning after zazen I was making tea and preparing to go for a short walk when the door opened and in walked a couple. The man I had met before. He works nearby. His wife, a Chinese woman, was fascinated that a Buddhist Temple was here and she just had to meet me for herself. We chatted for a few minutes and then the woman asked if she could stay and ask some questions, and of course, practice.



We sat in formal interview style. She asked, I answered as succinctly as possible. She wanted to know about Zen. She wanted to know if she were a Christian, would it be OK for her to come here. Lastly, she wanted to know how to do the practice. I offered her instruction and invited the bell to ring.



After a few minutes of Zazen, she turned and said in an exasperated voice, “I cannot concentrate!” I replied, “Yes, it is a difficult practice: Our mind is a challenging monkey.” I offered her the practice of counting breaths. At the conclusion, we talk a few moments and then she left, amazed that we didn’t charge a fee.



Zazen is, indeed, a difficult practice. Zen is not for everyone because of this fact. I sense though that she will be back. May we eah engage this challenge and from it build equanimity, understanding, and peace.



Be well

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...