Sunday, April 04, 2010

Spring

With palms together,
Good Morning Everyone,

Legend has is that the Israelites were held as slaves in Egypt for four hundred years and then were freed; legend has it that a man named Siddartha was born and would offer hope to the world as the Awakened One; legend has it that a man named Jesus was executed and rose from the dead. Each of these in different centuries, but in the same season: the spring equinox.

There is something about spring that stirs us and offers us light in darkness. For some, it is the religious significance of the season, for others, the blossoming leaves on trees suggests a natural rhythm to life itself. We are once again on the move coming out of the cloistered cold walls of winter.

Cycles point to process. Each of these historic or metaphoric events recognizes and reminds us that our liberation from bondage is not a “one time does the trick” thing, it’s a process, an eternal process. As it turns out, just like finally achieving a long sought after goal, another, even better goal surfaces to lure us on.

We all live in bondage as the Infinite through Moses, Buddha, and Jesus taught, and there is a way out of this bondage, its called ‘going forth.” The Israelites left everything they knew and went out into the desert, the Buddha left everything he knew and went out into the wilderness, and Jesus did the same. What were they thinking!

A full cup cannot be refreshed. To learn, to open, to be free, we must drop away what we think we know and take a step into the unknown. This is the step of faith, the step that leads to our own personal transformation: it is the step of liberation. This is spring.

Be well.

4 comments:

Rizal Affif said...

Reminded me of Kierkegaard's "leap of faith" :)

Koan Resuelto said...

Hi Harvey Roshi.

My older kid -she is 11- asked me today what would be necessary in order to have a zen community in Guatemala. I wasn't able to give her an answer.
And I honestly don't know... I mean, Catholics have Vatican Authorities, christian groups have large organizations...
I practiced Soto Zen for about six months almost two years ago at Dharma Rain Zen Center, I have dropped my practice and I'm looking forward for a way to attend a shessin and restart again my zazen practice... With Palms Togheter... Gilbert

Daiho Hilbert-Roshi said...

Dear Koan,

Easy. Just invite people to sit with you at a specific time each week. As the group settles in, ask me and I will assist you in the process of establishing yourself as its lay leader.

This is an open invitation to all, by the way.

Bows to you.

Koan Resuelto said...

Worth to give a shot, I bet.

I bow to you.

Koan

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...