Saturday, April 10, 2010

Busy-ness

With palms together,

Good Morning Everyone,



Yesterday I spent considerable time with my Teacher, Ken Hogaku McGuire-roshi. He made several suggestions about my residential Zendo, smacked me with his kyosaku a few times regarding my busy schedule, but most of all we talked about our practice. He thinks I overdo things and do not give myself the nurturance I need to continue to do my work. He is correct.



In a couple of weeks I will leave for the Omega Institute in New York state to participate in a retreat for veterans conducted by my friend Claude Anshin Thomas. Anshin amazes me. He was a door gunner on a Huey in Vietnam, survived being shot down several times and found himself in the lap of the Buddha decades later. I am going to practice with him, deepen my relationship with him, and learn from him.



May we all open to the teachings of those around us. The entire universe is our teacher and we are so often so busy that we fail to be present and miss its teachings. One day we open our eyes only to come face to face with the Infinite and look back with great sorrow.



Our lives must be lived, lived whole-heartedly, and without reservation. Invite the bell to ring.



Be well.



Today: Temple Services at 10:15, a noon talk on a unique Peace Camp, and at 3:00 PM a meeting in El Paso regarding creating a Juarez Zen Center.



Donations to the Order of Clear Mind Zen go to support our practice, help defray travel expenses, and help produce handouts to those who wish to receive them. Please consider making a small offering.

1 comment:

Rizal Affif said...

Exactly. Universe is our teacher, and each moment is a priceless opportunity to learn.

Let us live wholeheartedly. Passionately.

Deep bow.

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...