Monday, January 25, 2010

One Step

With palms together,

Good Morning Everyone,,



Today, Zazen at 6:30 AM at Roshi's residence; streetZen at 10:30 at Veteran's Park; Mediation at 3:00 and Study Group at 4:00 at Roshi's residence..



Yesterday I tried to take a walk with friends Allen and Eve through the desert park. Could only go half way and had t return. My Left Foot was having none of it.Perhaps it is time now to use kinhin as my walking style.



Kinhin is a deliberate, slow, mindful walking too often wrongly understood as a break from Zazen.Kinhin is meditation, it is Zen in motion. Mindful, it embraces body in motion in environment. Balance, touch, breath, forward motion, and empty mind abide there.



Slow, like Tai Chi, there is no where to get to where one has not already been.. The universe in each step. Infinity and ground meet. Spirit moves across the face of the deep. With each breath our universe is crated and maintained.



It's the Zen One Step.



Be well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HH.. I heard kinhin was a way to restore circulation after zazen. Now I have heard from you I was mistaken. I am 57 now and I still love walking fast when I can. Kinhin sucks. :)

Daiho Hilbert-Roshi said...

You are not mistaken. There are many reasons for kinhin, but never forget there is no fast or slow, no climbing or descending. Be awake no matter.

Yours,

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...