Sunday, January 17, 2010

An Evening

With palms together,

Good Morning Everyman,



Last night was very good to my heart. Children descended on our house. We had a neighbor join us. We enjoyed pizza, a delicious eggplant dish, Buffalo wings (for those who eat such things and son Jacob made a marvelous desert. Granddaughter Livvie played with Pappa's iPhone, son Jacob played a guitar, and at various times, the music of either Jacob or Leonard Cohen.



Laughter was a prominent feature.



After everyone left, I sat for a few moment and enjoyed the silence.



It was a beautiful evening. I am sorry My Little Honey wasn't here to enjoy it. But she is enjoying daughter Sam and grandson Tate in Memphis.



So, after a bit, I decided to put my laundry in the washer, get the dishes done, and take a late night walk under the desert stars. I walked 3/4 of a mile. It was chilly. The sky was expansive and deep and full of starlight.



I walked briskly, stumbling once or twice, but finally getting My Left Foot not to drag. Its an exercise in mindfulness, that. But on the way back I could not help but stop and look a deeply as I possibly could into that velvet sky. We are so fortunate to live in such a way.



There is beauty everywhere because there is life everywhere. Even in the midst of witnessing a disaster such as that in Haiti, we are surrounded by the wonder of humanity and the natural world. When our focus is on the loss, we experience great sadness, but we should then shift our attention to those being in service: there is the practice opportunity. Witness it. Then we take our own next step.



Morning Zazen at 6:30 and 9:00. A Memorial Service for friend Bernie Lieberman at 3:00.



Be well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks HH.. One of your best writes.

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...