Friday, September 04, 2009

Compassion Fatigue

With palms together,
Good Morning Everyone,

Yesterday I wrote a very long note on compassion fatigue. I did not post it. Too long. Too technical. Here's the skinny. When we care, we open our hearts, when we open our hearts, suffering enters. Unless we release it, not keeping it as our own, we too, will suffer. As suffering caretaker's we have great potential to harm those we care for, so it is imperative that we care for ourselves first.

What suffering is mine? What suffering is yours? Our buddha-nature is one, all is one, wherefore, yours, mine?

A few points:

In a Big Mind Universe, all is One, yet, I hurt, you hurt. The fact that we both hurt is our oneness. The hurt I experience is mine to deal with. The hurt you experience is yours. We share the experience, then, of recovery from suffering. Keeping the ownership of suffering clear is essential.

When I am with you and your suffering, I am with you and "your" suffering. Keep it clear.

The suffering I experience in the presence of your suffering is "my" suffering. Keep it clear.

We share "suffering" .

We share "compassion".

As caretaking human beings we must address our own suffering.

We practice zazen. We practice kinhin. We practice an open heart in all that we do.

The breeze enters, the breeze leaves.

We must be willing to release our grip.

Be well.

1 comment:

Nathan said...

Thanks for this. I'd enjoy the long version sometime as well, but maybe that's just me.

Bows,
Nathan

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...