Friday, April 10, 2009

Authenticity

With palms together,
Good Morning Everyone,
Change. Goodness. First we are going to the Refuge for the weekend, then we are not. I am a duck floating on the water. Its a good thing...unless there are pirates or hunters about. Then I become an eagle and open my wings, puff out my chest, and scream.
I began a short study of Master Dogen's Genjo Koan last night using a version and commentary by Hakuun Yasutani-roshi, translated by Paul Jaffe. I asked Student Komyo to tackle this essay and we will talk about it next week. Anyway, as I was reading last night, I was struck by the bold strokes of Yasutani.
I am reminded of the old saw that says, "When sitting, sit; when walking, walk; above all, don't wobble!"
It is vital to know yourself intimately. It is vital to have total congruence. When a duck, float; when an eagle, scream!
A small mind might see this as in-congruent, but Big Mind will see the whole.
This is what is meant by whole-heartedness. We take each step in the world with definiteness. No wobbles. Know yourself. And when you do, there is nothing but you. You and I, you and the Universe, are One. In such a space, there is no right or left, no up or down, no good or bad, no picking and choosing.
Just do what is in front of you to do and do it with all of your being.
Be well.

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...