Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Cat's Meow

With palms together,
Good Morning Everyone,

In the morning Pete-kitty enjoys sitting between me and the computer's keyboard. He wants to be touched. I am trying to teach him patience. :) I move him to the side, put my hand on his neck under his ears and, as he leans in, we care for each other.
Pete often doesn't get it that I want him to stay on the side of the computer and not directly in front of it. But such is life. As long as I reach out to him from time to time, he can be content to sit on my side and wait. Who is teaching whom?

I have often heard that it is the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. By this is meant those who complain the most, who get between a person and his task, ultimately get that which they need, if for no other reason than to quiet their squeak.

Both parties can learn from this when the light is turned inward.

Perhaps the wheel is not, afterall, squeaking on purpose. Perhaps it is truly in need of attention. Perhaps we need to be still and listen. Setting aside our need for the sake of the other. Oh boy.

Taking care of a squeaking wheel is what we do. Would that we could hear the squeak before it becomes a roar. We can if we try. We can if we set our ears away from our own voice long enough to hear the cries of the world.

This is a most challenging practice.

Try it.

Be well.

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...