Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Sixth Grave Precept

With palms together,
Good Morning Everyone,

The Sixth Grave Precept

The first five precepts are those taken in some traditions by lay practitioners. The next five, then, separate lay practitioners from those who are stepping up and traveling along the way of the Bodhisattva. They represent an increased demand for mindful attention.

The Sixth Grave Precept: I vow not to criticize others. In my order we use a slight variant: I vow to speak kindly of others. This precept is a precept that points directly to right speech. We should always try to say kind things about others and avoid unkind things. Yet, teachers often say things that are critical of a student. Parents say critical things of a child. Society says critical things about its outlaws. This precept points to idle chatter, to gossip: speech that has little value in that its aim is to spread rumors.

We have a positive obligation to criticize wrong, especially harmful behavior. We have an obligation to stop harm.

It is a difficult balance.

For example I was recently banned from a online blog because I spoke against an industry that promotes violence through video games. I said his company produced useless products that people wanted and that this was a waste of resources. I spoke directly to the manufacturer and told him I hoped his business would fail. I would say the same to gun companies, bomb companies, chemical weapons companies.

Some of this was hyperbole to make a point. Teachers do that. He could easily transform his business into one that produces no violent games, does not promote warfare, but instead produces products that nurture humanity. So, in essence, I do believe we should work to transform or close businesses that produce products that are harmful.

Did I criticize this man? No. I criticized his business.. Was it a violation of the sixth precept? I don't think so.

Since then, I have read numerous criticism of my conduct on that blog. They remind me of all the snide remarks made to me during the early phase of the Iraq war as I was sitting zazen holding a sign asking for peace.

We must stand for our values.

On the other hand, to say harmful things about a person without the aim of benefit is not acceptable.

Be well..

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...