Friday, December 26, 2008

Fourth Grave Precept

With palms together,
Good Morning Everyone,

The Fourth Grave Precept is: Do not lie.

This precept, like all the others,is geared toward what makes for a civilized world. One of the foundations of civil society is trust. In order for us to function together we must trust that what is said to us is honest. Lying about, distorting, and otherwise "handling": the truth erodes this trust.

Yet, we have a similar paradox as with other precepts. What is the truth? Truth is subjective. It is perception and perception can (and is) distorted by experience. so, if we have been robbed by people of a certain background, we may perceive people from that background to be "suspect" when in fact, they are not.

Better then, that we focus our attention on our own speech. We should speak only honestly with right thought and right understanding. We should not try to deceive.

Yet, always we should have in mind the maxim, 'do no harm'. Sometimes telling the truth can be harmful, such as telling an angry person with a gun who is chasing another person which way that person fled. Sometimes remaining silent is the best practice.

It turns out that precepts are not as easy as one, two, three.

Be well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Silence is golden, but sometimes its also good to swallow our own pride and apologize for arrogant words.

That's all it would take, you know.

Hope to see you soon,

xox--LW

Daiho Hilbert-Roshi said...

Hello LW, Thank you for your comment. There is much wisdom in it. I did write to JoeUser. I am not certain one would call it an apology, but I did wish Brad and his family well. I firmly believe that violence is promulgated through many avenues including video games. I will continue to work against that industry, just as I do war, domestic violence, and other forms of aggression. Moreover, I believe gaming, like other media, is often...too often...a surrogate for parenting and play activity that is physical. So. I will miss discussion with you and other select individuals at JU, but I really don't think its a venue for my teaching. Please return from time to time or drop me one of those loathsome emails.

Be well.

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...