Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Get the Ball Rolling!

With palms together,
Good Morning Everyone,

This morning I plan to go for a run of sorts with my friend, Katie. It will be a desert trail run and I'm looking forward to it. I have not been training as hard as I should of late, so maybe today I'll be able to kick it a bit. Maybe a few hill repeats are in order.

Consistency is vital. Habit energy is the strongest sort of human energy, I think. Like the proverbial ball rolling is hard to stop, so too, its hard to get rolling again. Best to just roll, because once "on a roll" its easy to continue to do so.

I've noticed our chief enemy to consistency is our Small Mind. It wishes to take us away from the Big Mind "roll". We might say to ourselves, "Aw, I don't feel like it" or "I just can't get myself out there today...my ______________ hurts."

Just Small Mind at work. Kick it. Get into that Big Mind space, expansive, open, inclusive. positive.

We should do this with everything: physical training, zazen, prayer, compassion, relationship building and relationship maintenance. Everything.

Another way of saying this is to let the self fall away to be enlightened by the myriad things.

Be well.

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...