Thursday, January 10, 2008

Three Generations

Good Morning Everone,
 
Yesterday afternoon at the  Peace Vigil I sat in serene reflection meditation on the sidewalk in front of the old federal building. The sun was still up and we practice facing west so the sun warms our skin against the cooling late afternoon desert air.  Sometime during the second period, Abbey and her friend (I cannot recall her name) sat down next to me to practice a few minutes. Abbey is a high school student whose mother and grandmother stand with me during the peace vigil on Wednesdays.  She is a tall young lady, with long blond hair, and a keen interest in the world.
 
Over the last few weeks Abby has sat with me on a few occasions on the street.  She has also written to me a couple of times with questions.  Her questions suggest she has had a meditation practice for quite some time, but that her practice has been undisciplined.  Anyway, Abbey and her friend sat in silence, hands in the cosmic mudra, and brought peace into the world with me.  It was a very good experience to sit with such young people. 
 
I chanted the Four Great Vows as they prepared to leave as a family.  Three generations of women committed to making a difference.  I was honored to be in their presence.
 
Beings are numberless, I vow to free them.
Delusions are inexhaustable, I vow to end them
Dharma gates are boundless, I vow to enter them.
The Buddha Way is unsurpassable, I vow to realize it.
 
 
Be well.


 
Rev. Dr. So Daiho Hilbert-roshi 


Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...