Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Tails A-Waggin'

Good Afternoon Everyone,
 
Zen is a way of life, indeed, it is life itself.  When we practice Zen we are alive and awake.  When we do not practice Zen we are asleep and dead. No special tools are required, just a willingness to open our eyes to see and our lungs to breathe.
 
This morning I made a tuna salad for our breakfast club.  The pups, Pepper and, rounded the corner as soon as they heard the hand cranked can opener at work.  Pete-kitty followed close behind. All waited patiently -- and not so patiently -- as I emptied the can, chopped the onion, and mixed the relish, peas, and spices, into the tuna. 
 
Pete-kitty was insistent, but he really does not like tuna.  Tripper was doing near back flips to get at the can.  Pepper, old dog that he is, waited patiently.  I gave him a small chunk of tuna and topped it off with a dog biscuit, as I slipped the near empty can to Tripper.
 
During this whole live theatre, I kept awake.  Opening the can I was aware I was opening the can.  Dealing with tails-a-waggin' I was aware I was dealing with tails-a-waggin'; mixing the salad I was aware I was mixing the salad.  I witnessed without reference to self, just opening, dealing, mixing, each in their appropriate turn and place.  
 
I am always aware of where this food comes from; aware of the lives offered to be food itself; and of the many hands involved in bringing it to me. Pete-kitty is not as aware, nor is Tripper or Pepper.  They just smell food and salivate until they can get their teeth into it.  We human beings are fortunate.  We have the ability to practice Zen.  We have the capacity to be awake and alive.
 
A bow to each of you.
 
 


 
Rev. Dr. So Daiho Hilbert-roshi 


Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...