Thursday, September 07, 2006

Value

With palms together,
Good Morning All,

What is a value? Over the years I have spent being a therapist and now a priest, I have often wondered. My early academic interests were in the areas of philosophy and religion, then social work, which I saw as applied ethics. Core to any 'spiritual' or religious path, is an exploration of values.

A value is a quality we invest with meaning, perhaps. Or perhaps our values are nothing more or less that the named meanings of our lives.

In any event, like all things, value have meaning only when lived, not when thought.

Values that are only thoughtful expressions are window dressing, spiritual candy, or worse: chimera. By thoughtful expressions I mean things we've named and mistaken the name for the thing. For example, when we value peace and do not live peacefully, we are not living authentically. Peace and living peace must be one and manifest in our lives to be a value.

All of our values seem to flow from something, that is they seem to be dependent upon something. In my case, they flow from a single core value: life. So, what supports and nurtures life is good, what doesn't is bad.

In this sense, then, war is a last option, not a first or pre-emptive one. If someone wishes to cause me harm, my resistance to their effort must be measured and only enough to prevent them from harming me. But even before physical resistance, I must emotionally and psychologically resist and attempt to find non-aggressive ways to avoid the conflict in the first place.

Our willingness to do this is a measure of our value.

Be well.

2 comments:

C. Robin Janning said...

I am grateful to have found your blog today.

Anonymous said...

harvey san, i sometimes have doubts about the practicality of buddhist values, but never about the wisdom of them.

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...