Friday, September 22, 2006

In the Meantime

With palms together,
Good Morning All,

Have you ever thought about the phrase, "in the meantime"? Just what does this phrase mean? A mean is a number achieved by adding the universe and dividing the sum by the number of its parts. The mode is the number which occurs most frequently, and the median is the number that is dead center of an array of numbers. In the meantime?

I think it means now. Before the next moment, but after the last. If this is the case, all of our lived time is meantime. We are very casual about this meantime. We see it as something occurring between other matters, often matters of consequence. Yet, how is this so? Matters past and matters future are matters immaterial. They are not real. They are constructions.

So, I live in the meantime. The meantime is mine. And like other base things settled at the bottom, those living in the meantime are still within the current. In being nothing special, we are everything that matters.

So, join me in the meantime. Tomorrow and yesterday are fiction.

Be well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sir: I find your daily messages very helpful, and often use them as a focus for contemplation (I do Contemplative meditation as well as zazen).

I have a request, though. Lately, you have been headlining your messages all as "Daily Message." While serviceable, I prefer the former headline treatment of giving each message its own headline. This makes it much easier for your readers to scroll back and find a particular message they'd like to revisit -- as I sometimes do.

Thank you so much for this blog. It's a fine way to start my day.

-- Steve

Daiho Hilbert-Roshi said...

Done. Thank you.

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...