Tuesday, August 22, 2006

What's Your Message?

With palms together,
Good Morning All,
 
Consider your every movement, your every words, thought and deed are teachings. What is their essence?  If, as was once said, the medium is the message, what is your message?
 
I see our children wearing t-shirts that suggest they are selfish or sex toys.  I see parents not paying attention to much of anything but what's on their table. I see people equating prosperity with election (to use an old Calvinist sort of thought).
 
Yet, this obsession with the pleasures of the self noticeably leaves us feeling both empty and oddly angry. We seek fulfillment (a spiritual sort of meal) in Church or Synagogue or Mosque or Zendo and are angry when we leave still craving.  Not understanding that seeking is a sort of sickness in itself. We blame the form or the Teaching or the Teacher.  Sometimes we hold the Universe responsible. It is rare that we really get into it, though.  Rare that we look at our own medium and assess or own message.
 
Perhaps it it time we considered rethinking the notion of looking "the other way" and saw that "way" as our own life.
 
Be well. 


Rev. Harvey So Daiho Hilbert, Ph.D. 
May All Beings Be Free From Suffering
On the web at:
 


Want to be your own boss? Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I realy agree with this article and the fact that we are trapped by our desires.

Practicing zazen for 6 years now, I more and more realize that.

But now, what can I do ? I'm not the master of my obsessions ! They are always here, suggesting me to seek, seek, seek ...

Of course, my biggest obsessions are about love and affection. It's just like we were programmed by nature to seek them !?

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...