Thursday, August 17, 2006

Rain and its Teaching

With palms together,
Good Morning All,

We have been receiving rain. Lots of rain. In the desert, rain is both a blessing and a curse. Since it doesn't rain often, the ground is not receptive to the water. The water hits the ground and bounces. Then flows. Then rages through arroyos. We should all learn from this.

The lesson? The ground must be both prepared and willing to receive.

What does this mean for us? We are a lot like that ground. We harden and dry up. We fail to receive in our hardness and defensiveness.

To receive the blessings of a wet world, we must prepare ourselves to be watered. This means we must do the hard work of reflection and examination. We must be willing to dig up the rocks of our past and expose them to the light of day. We must be willing to aerate our soil with dialog. So when the waters of life do visit us, we are both ready and have the space to receive them.

Be well,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

harvey san, I hope you read the comments section because i want to thank you for writing this blog. I have had some difficulty getting motivated for zazen so I typed in +zazen +daiho into "search this blog" and read again your posts about sitting. It is often difficult for me not to have some kind of gaining idea attached to zazen. your words were of great help to me today, again.

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I am with Jeff. Thank you very much for this blog, and for today's entry. I am now going through the process of exposing my past to the light of day, and your post today reminded me that i need to continue to put in right effort.

Thank You

Daiho Hilbert-Roshi said...

With palms together,
A deep bow to each of you.

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...