Saturday, August 19, 2006

Our Nature

With palms together,
Good Morning All,
 
We awoke to a very gentle rain, more a mist really, and it was refreshing to take the dogs outside first thing. I smelled the wet grass and shrubs. I listened to the chatter of birds who have taken residence with us in our complex, and stood erect as I took in my breath in silence.
 
When I opened my eyes this morning, I was listening to the Buddha talk about transformation. My dream suggested transformation was an inside out thing. But I think that is only half right. Transformation is an interactive process requiring all elements to work together.
 
And just what is transformation anyway? It is simply taking the hook out and letting it go.  Pema Chodren talks about being hooked.  I enjoyed this metaphor.
 
We each go through our days encountering situations which distract us from the task at hand. Someone says something.  Another reminds of something. Our jealousy, prejudice, and fear come into play.  The hook is sunk into our flesh and we are caught. 
 
Through our practice, we recognize these hooks for what they are and realize we have the skill to remove them.
 
We do his without much fanfare. It is our simple, but daily work. Just as we recognize our distractions in zazen, then gently go back to our breath in mindful presence, so too, when we take out one of the moment-to-moment hooks, we simply let it go.
 
We are, as I said, each human and we will be distracted.  It is our nature. But it is also our nature to forgive ourselves, nurture our friends and family, and build a loving world.
 
Be well.
 
 


Harvey So Daiho Hilbert, Ph.D. 
May All Beings Be Free From Suffering
On the web at:
 


Want to be your own boss? Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...