Friday, July 28, 2006

A Six Year Old Roshi

With palms together,
Good Morning All,

Yesterday through much of the afternoon, I was six years old. I played with a young friend in the pool, we ran in a circle in the courtyard, we played on the floor of the apartment while the adults looked on. We are never too old to see with a child's eye. Our imagination is still a very powerful tool.

I was a Mighty Morphin' Shark, a Bubble Blowin' Jellyfish, and a Floating Log within minutes. And when my little friend had to go home, I became a husband and grandfather again.

These are but roles we play, limited only by our willingness to be ourselves. We can too often allow our limits to encrust us in tradition; age us before our time.

When that happens, go find a six year old to play with.

Be well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

being a artist, I get to play like a child even when there are no other kids around. making art is a solitary act, but in fact I am making it for others even when I don't expect others to ever see it. I have my work online if you would ever like to..

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I currently have a part-time job in the produce section of a supermarket, so I often see young kids with their families. They are so honest, and genuine, and full of joy!!

One young man said, when his mother said she was going to buy some tomatoes,"Tomatoes are grrrreaattt!!!!!" and I thought to myself," Yes, yes, tomatoes are great! How true that is!"

Perfect and complete.

I had forgotten how good tomatoes really are, and just what is essential and real, until that boy made his exclamation.

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

"allow our limits to encrust us in time...age us before our time." Very nice!

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...