Monday, May 08, 2006

Morning Light

With palms together,
Good Morning All,

So it is morning once again. I count on morning light. It is a blessing we should each savor. Some years ago, when I was 19 and just shot in the head in the middle of the night in the middle of the jungle, I lay in muddy water waiting for the morning light. In the morning the light streamed in through the canopy of trees revealing a smokey mess of human beings in great pain or dead in grotesque positions.

I pray none of you ever suffer mornings like that, nor that your sons or daughters do.

Each morning I recite a short prayer, "As I open my eyes I vow to see the universe clearly and not forsake a single being." In Jewish thought, we are happy to see that our soul has been returned to us by God. In each case we see that we are able to take a fresh step, essentially born new in the world. What was is no more. What is is here just now. It is our choice exactly how we meet this moment.

What is your choice today? I hope you choose peace.

Be well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

harvey, have you ever thought of writing down the story your life? I'm sure it would be a very interesting book. I am always curious about how people arrived at their present viewpoints. how you went from soldier to preist would be fascinating reading.

Anonymous said...

One night I dreamt that I was very old and tired but also at peace in some way. In my dream I died and when I woke up for real, I felt like I had been reborn and was very greatful for having another day.

Daiho Hilbert-Roshi said...

Jeff, This is my book, so to speak. And Jennifer, appreciation is a wonderful quality. Cherish it.
Be well.

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...