Thursday, February 16, 2006

Bring Back the Draft

With palms together,
Good Morning Sangha,

How easy it is to support a war when the army is volunteer. I have been thinking about the profound lack of anti-war voice here in the United States. It just occured to me that one of the reasons people in the 60s and early 70s were so opposed to the war in Vietnam had nothing to do with war itself, but rather, with saving the lilly white butts of silver spoon babies.

In 1968 I took part in the "moratorium" against the war. I was a student at the University of Miami at the time. I was also 19 years old, partially paralysed, retired from the army, a disabled combat veteran. I remember the crowds of people. It was invigorating. I also recall someone attempting to pull the Purple Heart medal from my jacket suggesting that I should not disrespect my father. But that Heart was mine.

In those days, men (boys, really) were all at risk of being whisked away by a masculine war machine. The draft was a real fear and almost every one of my classmates at University (a large private school) were trying their best to get or keep a deferrment. They were decidedly against the war. I stood with them at the rally's. I believed in the message.

In retrospect, I am not so certain of thoses masses and their message. This realization lays heavy on my heart. Could it be, they were just afraid of being shot at? Afraid of being taken into a war machine, chewed up, spit out, and tossed aside like bags of trash on the curb? Which is exactly what happened then and is exactly what is happenming now.

These same people today, where are they? Where are their voices? Their passion? In fact, are they nesting in the Republican party. Neo-cons who have seen the light and made their money and want to keep as much of it as they can? Their sons and daughters safe from a war?

During and after Vietnam, we supported an all volunteer army. I think now that was a grave error. A volunteer army means only one thing. We are free to send someone elses son and daughter into harm's way with no fear that the flames will singe them.

I believe it is time to equalize the playing field. Perhaps if the Senator's son or daughter were going to engage the world's evil empire's with their own bodies, we might re-think our options.

Be well.

1 comment:

Daiho Hilbert-Roshi said...

Thank you for this link! Thank yo for your work! A deep bow.

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...